Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4-valve side action euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 28, 2000 at 20:23:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4-valve side action euphonium posted by Rick Denney on December 28, 2000 at 18:54:36:

Before walking it as a dog, you have as hinted the option to prepare it for versatility by making the current leadpipe unmountable.

Glen Call has told of his old Imperial from about the same period, which was worked over by a now retired military euph player, who also had made wonders with his own Willson.

You probably will not have the productivity of the pro repairmen. But you have to factors speaking in favour of your project: dedication towards that specific instrument, and you have no bills to write out for the time used. The latter factor might be respelled as "patience", which can be important, when you have to rework that valve guide for the 7th time for a proper alignment.

As you know, I am collecting brass in all sizes. Some of the instruments are bought from new, and I never would have taken them if I did not like each of them specifically.

But there are others, that have started out as"jokes", because they were funny and cheap. Once I declined the buy of a used rotary valve trombone, because the estate of a former collegue had set a price out of proportions to age and wear. The 2nd valve worked fastly, but it suddenly stuck, without notice, for that highly embarassing milli-second.

After being owned by a third person it surfaced on the local market again. Price was negotiated down. And it entered the collection just for fun.

BiNaK 495 made the valves take up a new youth. And I found out, that I could play it with my bass bone/euph mouthpiece.

That opened up for the practicing ofsome Claude Gordon style work-outs on a valve instrument. I had avoided them on the euph, because they were physically too taxing on that instrument.

Small investments put in new contexts can give joy.

best of luck with your project.

Klaus

Follow Ups: