Old Jazz or Dixie Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveC on December 30, 2000 at 09:45:31:

A few years ago I was asked to play button accordion at an arts festival at F&M College in Lancaster PA. It was a wandering minstrel type gig. It was in a gymnasium separated by booths so you couldn't see from one end to the other. In the middle of one of my tunes, I heard a combo start up across the way and immediately I stopped playing and went to listen. It was a trio of singer/tenor banjo player, clarinet and tuba. They were playing old jazz songs (Royal Garden Blues) and songs from the 20's. Their name is Hot House and I just got their CD from Walking Frog Records(www.walkingfrog.com). It's definitely worth the effort to try and find this CD, and if you are in the central PA area, to seek out one of thier gigs. (Carlisle is listed as their home). [BTW, for equipment freaks, I remember talking to the tubist and he was on an old King 4v BBb. Now he's got a Rusk York CC (CD sales must be good ;>)]

I'd like to know if there are any other recordings like this of small ensemble, old Jazz or Dixie combos with tuba that anyone would recommend. Thanks in advance.

Dave

PS, in the same shipment I got "Young Fogeys" by the Boston Brass, another display of jazz tuba excellence.

Follow Ups: