Re: York Master BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 03, 2001 at 19:15:16:

In Reply to: York Master BBb posted by Nick on December 01, 2001 at 14:38:06:

I just spent a little time with the pictures Klaus linked to, and this one is just like mine but not so purty.

The bell collar is a little bigger than a Kiev 2341. I'll measure mine tonight and post it tomorrow--remind me if I forget (I'm switching browsers right now and having a hard time knowing where I've been).

Finding an upright bell for this tuba will be quite a challenge. Mine's not for sale, heh, heh.

If you get it, check to make sure the mouthpiece receiver is properly tapered. Mine was not, and it was the cause of some characteristic difficulties with the tuba. Doug Elliott fixed the problem in ten minutes with the right reamer, and now it takes proper mouthpieces. It makes a big difference in the sound (because of the bigger mouthpiece) and intonation (because of the proper backbore and insertion).

As Chuck mentions, this tuba was made by Boehm and Meinl for Carl Fischer, who owned the York name at the time. This was in the 50's and 60's, until Carl Fischer sold the York name in 1971. No, they are not made in Grand Rapids. But they are still wonderful tubas, with a characteristic American sound and many of the same playing qualities.

But it is not a 6/4 York by any means. The picture above shows it next to a Meinl-Weston 2165, which is a York-sized BAT. I put in in the class of a 5/4, but only after some consideration--initially, it measures up like a 4/4, especially for a BBb.

I bought mine partly on the recommendation of Jay Bertolet, who played one as a student after trying the one his teacher had lo these many moons ago. It turns out that his teacher's York Master is the one I now own.

The Boehm and Meinl factory made instruments for lots of folks, many of which are highly regarded. Dale's B&M is quite similar to some Marzan's (and to mine), though I'm given to understand (from Dave Fedderly) that Marzan had the big branches thinned considerably. Mine is heavy.

If you want to read more about it, go here (link is below):

http://www.rickdenney.com/ricks_tuba.htm

Follow Ups: