Re: finale 2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C. on December 07, 2001 at 11:46:02:

In Reply to: finale 2002 posted by Ben J. on December 06, 2001 at 15:10:04:

Whether you opt for 2001 (which I found was just fine) or 2002 may also be a choice of how picky you are about the final printed copy. 2002 does what it calls "smart shapes" (like slurs, etc.) nuch more accurately than 2001. I do mostly choral music, so details like that are important to me. If you aren't as picky, go with the 2001.

When Coda releases an upgrade, they always offer previous users a discount if you upgrade within a certain time window. I went from 2001 to 2002 for about $80. You can always upgrade from 2001 (cheap) to 2003 (or whatever is next) when it comes out. It may be cheaper in the long run to buy the older version now & take advantage of the upgrade discount later. 2001 is a fine product - most of the things that annoy me about it are little nit-picky things that I've found NO notation software does to my satisfaction.

Warning: Finale has a steep learning curve, but the documentation is quite thorough and relitively easy to navagate (as long as you know the name of what you are trying to find - they don't have things like "wiggly lines" in the index).

Follow Ups: