Re: Re: Help with high register please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 07, 2001 at 18:41:45:

In Reply to: Re: Help with high register please! posted by Roger Lewis on December 07, 2001 at 16:14:13:

Roger! Now you know you can't post things like this without me responding. ;-)

Actually, the vast majority of what you say is excellent advice, the very same kinds of tips I give my own students. However, we definitely part ways regarding the pivot system. I absolutely do not pivot in any way, shape, or form in my embouchure. I just don't. I'm glad this system works for you but it isn't the only way to go. My students learn to control the high range (if they're good and they work at it) without any movement or pressure. They just use lots of air. As long as you focus the airstream and keep your embouchure inside the mouthpiece (Abe Torchinsky used to tell me, "keep as much meat in the mouthpiece as possible".), no shifting is required. Of course, the huge advantage of playing without a shift is the increase in flexibility and the lack of a changing tone color, which shifting can sometimes cause.

Every year, at some point, I spend a week practicing in front of a mirror. This last week was just such a week. Part of the reason I do this is to observe my face, scrutinize it really, and see that no bad habits are creeping into my playing. I encourage players interested in seeing how things work to try this. I know it works for me.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: