Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on December 08, 2001 at 16:02:09:

In Reply to: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ? posted by Newbe on December 07, 2001 at 18:30:25:

Congratulations - this has been one of the best focused discussions I've seen here in a while.

I was going to make a comment about the switch from Eb to BBb should you wish to ever do so. I started on Bb baritone in 4th grade, at the start of my 5th grade year they handed me an Eb tuba (I was the 2nd biggest kid in school by then - a dubious honor indeed)and I think it took a couple of weeks to make the switch - then in 7th grade they handed me a BBb sousaphone (I think I had become the biggest kid!) - also no problem. Of course, when you're young a LOT of things are no problem!

But frankly I doubt there would ever be any reason to switch - lots of folks play Eb.

Also along the lines of Klaus's suggestion, euphonium might be a good choice - it happens to be one of the prettiest sounding horns around and is great for playing vocal works and operatic arias. I think euphonium is in many ways similar to a smooth tenor voice in character.

I think for what you want to play, even if you went with a tuba, it might be best to stay with a smaller (3/4 size?) BBb. The bigger horns I believe tend to have a broader sound and for playing the lead I think you'd want more of a focused sound and a bit more "agility".

I just "re-started" two years ago at age 60 after a 25 year break and I began on euphonium and I love it. If you play in band, the parts are quite interesting (challenging?) as you are frequently doubling the melody line and sometimes doubling the bass line - basically switching all over the place. I did also return to tuba this year and have a largish BBb and I do find it to be harder to get around on the horn than I expected. I've also gotten the complaint from my pianist wife that she finds the sound "too big" for duets etc, although as I get more mileage on the horn the rate of complaints has decreased to a dull background rumbling so it is probably related to the skill of the operator as much as to the size of the horn - however, I think a small BBb or a medium sized Eb has a lot to recommend it.

Anyhow, I can't lay claim to the level of expertise of some of the other posters, but since as a recent re-starter I'm in a somewhat similar position to where you seem to be I thought I'd stick in my two cents worth.

Oh yes - most important - find yourself a really good teacher and pay attention to what he/she tells you. I've learned more in the last two years than in my previous twenty something of playing.

Follow Ups: