Re: Sheet music no $

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on December 09, 2001 at 03:06:11:

In Reply to: Sheet music no $ posted by Brandon Ostrom on December 08, 2001 at 17:53:28:

I have seen several posts concerning this lately.The general opinion seems to be that good original tuba music just does not exist.

I do not agree at all. This tends to tell me that you or your teacher do not have very much of the literature and/or have not performed very much of it. Granted, not every piece is good, but more is good than bad, in my opinion.

I enjoy playing the music of other eras as well but do not perform entire concerts of that music all the time.

Most of us have spent small fortunes on our instruments, gig bags, cases, mouthpieces and then balk at having to invest in suitable original literature. How many of you, and me, are playing on the 2nd ?, 3rd ?, 4th ? instrument, mouthpiece, gig bag, or case? Perhaps the best instruments are to be found in the "original" instruments, etc?

Many of the older teachers, Harvey Phillips being a prime example, of the instrument spent many years and dollars getting composers to write for our instrument(s). Is all that effort to be wasted by a few of you who don't like what was written? If so, this is very sad.........

Follow Ups: