Re: Do you double?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on December 11, 2001 at 15:13:31:

In Reply to: Do you double? posted by Lonny on December 11, 2001 at 14:36:47:

I double on tuba, basses (both upright and electric), and bass trombone, depending upon the call. One can usually get an upright as cheaply on the on-line auction services as cheaply as by going to a shop. The advantage of the shop is that you can know what you are getting and try it out. This is as important for upright players as it is for tuba players (tubaist, tubist, ect....).

A good, but inexpensive bass for most is the engelhardt line. They are plywood, (not the top line of bases), but they are lighter and less expensive. Used basses are going for about new prices if they are structually in good shape. A good set of pick-ups, and a small but good amp will help produce the needed sound. My preference for an all-aroung small good amp would be in the 100 watt, 12 or 15 inch, possibly with a tweeter, all in one cabinet. An external balanced output to a p.a. system makes this a better solution.

Whwn you look for an upright, check out the fingerboard for upward curves. Play all up and down the fingerboard on each string to find string buzz points. Make sure that you don't have to use too much pressure to push the string into the fingerboard at all points on each string. Don't settle for strings that are set too high or too many buzzed notes.

The bridge will determine the heigth of the string off of the fingerboard. Too high, and you will tire yourself in playing and have a punchy, but not sustained sound. Too low, and you will buzz a bunch of notes and have very little attack to the note.

As far as using tuba instead of bass, sometimes it has to happen. Personally, I have played(and I know Joe S. has as well), for Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians. That era of dance band music called for tuba in the place of the upright bass due to volume and the preferences of Mr. Lombardo. In this arena, it is usually acceptable. In the later 60's and 70's, with Stan Kenton's big band as an example, tuba is used along with bass trombone and upright/electric bass. There is a definite sound that happens in those recordings.

My personal preference is to use the bass that the music/composer calls for. I don't like to sub tuba for upright, upright for electric, or electric for tuba. The sub between electric and upright is a little hairy at times, but each one has a sound characteristic of its own that can not be duplicated by the other.

Many professional doublers can stay sharp on all by making sure that they involve some time each week on all of the instruments they use. For example, if i have a heavy week of upright playing, I will work out what I need for the upright for the gig, and spend more practice time on electric/tuba/b.tb., ect...

I hope this helps.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: