Re: New BBb Rotary 4/4 Tuba $4000 or less?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on December 11, 2001 at 21:44:39:

In Reply to: New BBb Rotary 4/4 Tuba $4000 or less? posted by Lori on December 11, 2001 at 19:24:21:

This is a great great great choice. This is a horn that will grow with her abilities, compares very well to horns that cost twice as much, and will last the rest of her life.

Many other horns in the same price range suffer either from poor construction, poor design, or both. For four grand you can get a Miraphone S-186. This is a well made horn that might just initially play easier for her unless she is fairly advanced. But in the long haul I would still prefer the sound of the VMI. For around $3800(possibly less from Baltimore Brass) you can grab a Meinl Weston 25. These horns are built like tanks and have a dark yet characteristic sound that isn't available in many other horns. Truly a gem. If money is less of an object this might be my first choice followed very very closely by the VMI and slightly less closely by the Miraphone. Many others will strongly disagree with me but I'm okay with that. ;b

You need to also take into consideration that these prices do not include a case or gig bag. If you think there will ever be a time when she will want to fly with her horn she needs a Walt Johnson flight case. Expect to pay $600-$800. A generic hard case isn't nearly as safe for flying and will still run you around $500. At some point in her life she will be in a position in which other people will be handling her instrument for her and/or she will be forced to stack her horn with other equipment(e.g. a greyhound bus trip). For that reason I think some type of hard case is essential. For day to day use a gig bag is prefered by most. They are significantly more convenenient for tossing in the back seat and going to the local community band rehearsal where everything is pretty well a controlled safe environment. My suggestion is a Dolly Bag for around(guessing slightly) $500. These are generally considered to offer the best protection. If you can find a Reunion Blues bag that fits the horn they are also a good choice and are not as heavy to lug around.

With all that in mind I would go with the VMI/W. Johnson/Dolly combo and never look back.

Good luck!
joseph :)

Follow Ups: