Re: Best euphonium -- Opinions??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon M. Jones on December 12, 2001 at 12:49:25:

In Reply to: Best euphonium -- Opinions?? posted by Bob Grimble on December 11, 2001 at 07:33:39:

I have played all of these instruments. If the Besson Sovereign 967 plays the best and has the best response.....but the intonation is really bad. The problem is there with any Besson you get except for the Prestige with the trigger. The Prestige plays like a dream, although the trigger is a bit difficult to get adjusted to having to use it everytime you play concert Eb or F. I currently own a Willson which I really like. The horn that plays the best for me is the Yamaha 642. Intonation for me is right on only having to move the tuning slide about a quarter of an inch and no other slides, and the set up fits me more comfortably. The Willson is, however, the best euphonium out there overall. It just does not fit me as well as the Yamaha. My sound is a little better on my Willson, but I can get around on the horn much easier on the Yamaha. I've heard others say the exact opposite. So to each his/her own. Find what you like and suits you the best and go with it. I have my Willson for sale by the way with the deluxe case and a gig bag and 6 mouthpieces (BB1, SM3M silver and gold, SM4M, Schilke and Willson 51D) for $3,800. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Follow Ups: