Re: Re: Yet another F tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on December 13, 2001 at 08:09:05:

In Reply to: Re: Yet another F tuba question posted by Answer on December 12, 2001 at 16:49:17:

My theory is that the F tubas are typically not wrapped the same way as longer instruments are(ie. there are not as many bends after the valves). I once experimented with an old Meinl Weston F with very unstable low C etc. I hybridized it with bows from a very small old Eb tuba. The resulting horn was a disaster to play because of bad pitch tendencies. However this solved the problem low notes on the horn. I believe that the Europeans originally made their F tubas tall for appearance sake and ease of manufacture. They have a bottom bow, top bow and tuning slide. Even my 3+3 Vienese Miraphone with its horizontal tuning slide(adding two extra "bows")has a better low range.
The Yamaha that I have has an extra bow, and the low range is good on it. The new Nirschl F that I played in the factory a year ago is compact with extra bows and has the same even response in the low register. Just my observations and opinions.

Follow Ups: