Re: Re: TubaEuph Barbershop?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 13, 2001 at 11:04:38:

In Reply to: Re: TubaEuph Barbershop? posted by Doc on December 13, 2001 at 10:07:32:

A couple of comments:

At least on the final note almost all the barbershop singing, that I have heard, has had the I-IV-I turn.

My experience from seing/hearing a number of (let’s say amateur) ensembles from the outside is, that they are governed by a social hierarchy to a degree, that it spoils the musicality of the ensemble expression.

If a barbershop arrangement comes in a Tenor, Lead, Baritone, Bass lay-out, then the normal rules for part distribution within the tuba quartet do not apply.

If there is a euph player, who has a remarkably heavier sound, then he might very well be given the lead part, no matter what his social status is within the group.

If the bass tubist has the range and the reading abilities, it might show up as the ideal situation to have him/her play the lead. That would make for a strong double axis of the lead and the bass lines. With the euphs presenting the tenor and baritone lines at their true value as fill-ins. Important and style defining fill-ins they are, of course.

I have not made "barbershop" arrangements, as I tend to stay away from music with potential copyright problems. But that I have worked with the quartet format within the bass clef range can be seen through the link below. The titles relevant in this context are "Ave, Maria" and "Largo".

Klaus

Follow Ups: