Re: Re: Carbon Fiber Bell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on December 13, 2001 at 22:06:48:

In Reply to: Re: Carbon Fiber Bell posted by Carole Nowicke on December 13, 2001 at 17:31:59:

"4...but as I understood it, the problem was gluing it to the rest of the horn (at the ferrule, sticking the leadpipe on, and so forth) and having it stay put."

Speaking of this, has anyone seen one of Chuck Dallenbach's Carbon Fiber belled tubas or know how he gets his bell and leadpipe to stay connected to the rest of the horn? Maybe some kind of epoxy? And before anyone else says it...maybe he just used a little tubaglue.

This was one of my biggest reasons for not getting one. How would I get it to stay together and just as importantly, how would I get it apart if I didn't like it? If for whatever reason I purchased another G-50, I would have a carbon fiber bell put on just to see, but for now I like my G-50 the way it is...unglued and brass-belled.

Various people have reported that the only reason Dallenbach uses the Carbon fiber bell is because it is very light. In another attempt to lighten his horns up, Dallenbach has them made with only 4 valves, since a 5th isn't really necessary with the type of playing he does in CB. If you have ever seen them live you understand why he does anything he can to lighten the horn up...how many tuba players do you know that will play standing or dancing around on stage for hours on end?

Follow Ups: