Re: Re: Re: Tuba & Flute 4tet?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KlausYour Klaus on December 13, 2001 at 23:56:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba & Flute 4tet? posted by Lawrence on December 13, 2001 at 22:40:46:

This format is not easy to write for, unless one goes for modernistic music, that strives for strong contrasts.

I have made a number of arrangements for tuba for a medium sized flute choir ( 3 picc, 3 sop, 2-3 altos, 1-2 basses) plus tuba.

Among them a C major setting of the Helicon Schottische, which has been reported to sound well, because the tuba did not have to fight its way through the more dense textures of brass quintet or brass band (both these versions available for download and for free through http://www.tubastuff.com. Format .pdf. The quintet is up for a revision, when I get to it. Yet the present version has been performed without problems).

Back to the flute/tuba ensemble: balance problems aside, there also is the problem about getting a coherent ensemble sound. And flute choirs can have a tendency to be a bit "spongy" in the ensemble feel for rhythm and pulse.

My attempt to solve these aspects has been inspired as well by the baroque use of the lute as by Debussy’s use of unisono flute and harp. In the world of today that means, that I have added a classical guitar to the ensemble.

Out of wishes for some specific repertory items I recently have included a euphonium together with the tuba and guitar. Partly as soloist, partly as the tenor in choral type pieces.

I am more or less telling you, that it will be hard to help you out. However one very well known piece, that I recently have arranged might work for you: Pifa from "The Messiah" by Georg Friederich Händel. Yet a guitar would help very much to keep the piece together.

The score and parts are in a pdf file of well over 1 MB

Klaus

Follow Ups: