Re: Re: Thanks to Matt and Mike

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on December 15, 2001 at 16:16:16:

In Reply to: Re: Thanks to Matt and Mike posted by BillC on December 15, 2001 at 11:53:54:

Summary:

Very close "score" between the King 2341 and the VMI 3301, based on comments by 4 different tubists who played / listened to these two horns. Both models are good BBb horns.

VMI: nickel silver slides and related tubing, rose brass leadpipe, slightly more core to the sound, slightly more refined sound. Longer stroke and wider valve spacing due to the larger bore. Takes more air, but notes seemed slightly more secure in the slotting department. Cool spit valve on an extra loop in the leadpipe that deals with most condensation problems very effectively. I personally liked the sound (stronger core, more refined) and material quality of this horn a little better.

King: shorter stroke on the valves (smaller bore), closer valve placement, easier on the right hand. Broader, "fluffier" voice, nice for a foundation. Easier upper register, slightly stuffier low register (low C was a challenge). The model I tried had great intonation. But the VMI was fine also. A local tubist who plays a rotary Hirsbrunner BBb thought the King compared favorably to his horn. I liked the user-friendly valves on this horn better than the VMI -- noticeably easier on the right hand, but the VMI can probably be gotten used to.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: