Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff - too, too long to read! on December 16, 2001 at 00:25:33:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

James

As you may or may not have noticed I don't post often. But when I do it tends to be pompous and long-winded. I get very interested in musical matters involving young people (especially aspiring tuba players). I guess it's because I am a mediocre tuba player and MAYBE a slightly better than mediocre band director (and yes I have parents who would debate you on that statement). Ya can't be all things to all people. As a BD I mostly try not be negative about a fellow BD. But I'm going to vent. I had an 1.5 hour conference last Friday after-school with 3 sets of parents and their children on something that didn't involve me at all but somehow they thought I was responsible for fixing it. I have received an e-mail from a parent yesterday demanding that I pass her daughter even through she hasn't participated in band since mid-september... uh... sorry I lost my cool. Did I type that stuff out loud? Back to the tuba issue. I'm going to make dangerous assumptions and generalizations (I'm in a bad mood). If your BD truly based his decision on the looks of the tuba section, then this guy is out of his mind.
There are BD's in my part of the country that do this kind of stuff. These are the same guys who pick two or three pieces of concert literature and thats all they play that winter. Then they them on the field the next Fall. WOW a students gets exposed to maybe 12 pieces of music in four years. The same guy who charges a $1000 band fee. What's that sound? oh yeah, that's Lowell Mason rolling over in his grave. I gather from your post that your group is a strong BOA group. While there is good that comes from BOA, directors of those groups tend to get ticky about stuff that means about ZERO. Yuor resentment is not uncommon amoung members of bands who do BOA-type things. Dare I say that these activities can lead to explointation of students for personal glory? I thinks it is great that your band has alot of oppurtunities for you to perform and play. Good luck at BOA.

You said that you could see your BD's point from his perspective. You said it nicely and I appreciate that. But as an irritated, probably somewhat red-neckish, guy who doesn't know all of the situtation, Your BD's point of view on the "looks" of your tuba is pure crap. He assented to let you play the CC before, and i think now his true resentments at being somewhat "coerced" in letting you play the CC are showing thru. I don't think he really wanted to let you in the first place (obviously) and decide to fight it again. If he has issues with sound , or intonation, etc. then I could stomach it. BD's get their butts on their shoulders over the stupidest things sometimes (me too). Your BD has way too much time on his hands if he can worry about the minutua (sp?) of the visual presentation to that degree. Please tell my that you don't have to a marching band horns up when you start a piece. Does the trumpet section do ripples up and down the line during extended rest for visual effect. I'm being ridiculous, but my point is that so many BD types have forgotten that music is heard. Yes, it is helpful to be sharp-looking, but ya better sound great! My two cents is grin and bear it, practice your tail off, play lots of different stuff. Don't quit band, you'll just hurt yourself in the long-run.

Follow Ups: