Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cautious Norm on December 16, 2001 at 13:53:19:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

I would not be ready to "flame" a director until I heard both sides to a story. I am a parent of two students who over the last seven years have been a part of one of the top music programs in the Pacific Northwest (arguably the U.S.). I have also been the coordinator of one of the oldest marching band competions in this area. These exeperiences allowed me to get close to the world of high school music directors. I have seen enough to know that there can be problems on both sides of the podium.

I worked with many band directors involved with marching band competions. I know that there are a few who are on ego trips, looking for nothing but feathers for their cap. As a person, I know that if you can provide this type of director with an avenue toward what is important to them, you can also make steps toward getting what you want. Maybe you should seek out a tuba solo that can be accompanied by your band. If you are truely that good at playing, the whole ensemble will look great. You could also seek out music that your band is capable of playing that also has some great tuba riffs. This group probably has ideas for both of these goals. I should say emphatically that I have seen many more directors who have had music and students very close to their hearts. You will find one eventually.

I have also seen prima-donna students that gave a director an ultimatum and had to follow through with their challenge, quit the band. A couple of these students went on to try to play at the next level and fell on their face. Their playing ability was not as big as their head. I have no knowledge of you or your abilities so I am not accusing only you would know the truth. Take the advise given below, find other playing oppotunities. Look for the good in the band you are currently with. Look for friendships - have fun. The work can get intense in later years - find ways to enjoy what you are doing now - don't quit!

It must be Sunday. I just found myself up on a pulpit preaching. Now I climb down.

Follow Ups: