Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James again on December 16, 2001 at 14:17:51:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

1) I should illustrate a little more on the CC problem. At the beginning of the year, my director stated that I "didn't have to bring my tuba," so I was (of course) very disappointed. After a month or so on a BBb, I confronted my director, and said that it was very important that I played my CC in class. He quickly said that I could bring it in. I played it for our fall concert, both in the Concert band and the Jazz band. A week after that concert, a new tuba player moved here, and joined the band. After our first rehearsal with him, Mr. Lacognata (my band director) said that with a third player, my horn would stick out, and I wouldn't play it. I wasn't sure if he was worried about the sound, or about the visual, so I asked him about it and discovered it his decision was mostly based off of visual "differences," and a fear that my horn's sound would clash with the Yammies, which he refused to disclose whether that was actually happening. Of course the only difference is my horn is a side action rotary, with the bell on the opposite side as the top action Yamahas, both are brass. He wont budge, and I doubt his superiors are musically educated enough to agree with me.
2) I would go to our counties art magnet school, except that our band is the best concert band in the county, and one of the best in the state.
3) Private schools are kind of out of the question, I'm still saving up for college, and paying tuition for a private school is kind of a problem.

Follow Ups: