Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubaguyry on December 16, 2001 at 23:14:51:

In Reply to: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James McNeil on December 15, 2001 at 21:42:10:

James,
I do not agree at all with your band director's decision. It serves NO musical purpose. However, I must tell you that a lot is being made over this, when not a lot needs to be. How difficult is the music you are playing in the high school band right now? By saying that you MUST play it on your CC horn, are you telling us that you CAN'T play it on a BBb? I would tend to doubt that. Sometimes in life we must do things that we don't necessarily want to do. If you really plan to be a professional tubist, would it be safe to say that there will probably be some music that you will want to play on an Eb of F tuba, while maintaining a CC as your "regular" horn? Wouldn't that mean switching between them? Yes, it would. And if you really want to challenge yourself musically, and to become a stronger player who is capable of playing any horn that is thrown at him, you will simply roll with the punches and play the BBb when required, and your CC in every other situation. I myself have been in this situation, and managed all right. Consider this...Scholarships at many public universities (including the one I attended) stipulate that you must be in the marching band to receive your scholarship. And most sousaphones are not pitched in CC, my young friend. I wish you success in whatever you decide to do, and please don't get me wrong-I am definitely not one to lecture others about "making waves"(Lord knows that!!!!!!!)-I am just suggesting that we must choose our battles, and you must decide if this is an occasion to fight to the bitter end, or "suck it up, and drive on".

Happy Holidays!

Follow Ups: