Re: Wd 40 as opposed to valve oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on December 17, 2001 at 02:08:34:

In Reply to: Wd 40 as opposed to valve oil posted by Brandon Ostrom on December 15, 2001 at 12:15:05:

I've read this thread with great interest but I'm curious...if you have 2 days to go, why isn't that enough time to get your own or mooch someone else's? Many of the chemicals suggested sound positively lethal if used regularly....remember, whatever you'll be inhaling small quantities of whatever you use inside your horn no matter how careful you are, so I'm not that crazy about using WD 40, lamp oil, lighter fluid, chainsaw oil, etc. Personally, I recommend Al Cass "Fast" oil to my students because it's scentless, works quite well with both pistons and rotors, and it has a mild cleaning agent. I've also never known Al Cass oil to react with other oils or chemicals as many other oils will. Also, with regards to WD40, I've known it to damage solder joints and even the laquer finish when used even sparingly on stuck slides (I've heard that it will damage plating, but I have not seen that personally). Certain horns seem immune and certain horns seem readily succeptible, depending on the materials used in construction, so why risk a horn that costs $1,000 - 4,000?

Kevin

Follow Ups: