Re: Re: Why is low range bad on F's?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 17, 2001 at 07:37:51:

In Reply to: Re: Why is low range bad on F's? posted by Frederick J. Young on December 15, 2001 at 20:53:08:

I'm not sure this fits with my own observations.

The problem note that is most obvious on F tubas with this problem is the low C, which is played simply with the fourth valve. That valve is tuned specifically for that note (and for the G at the bottom of the staff). There are no slide pulls, and the single fourth valve doesn't seem like a crazy fingering to me.

My understanding also is that Mr. Catelinet, like most all British tubists before Fletcher, played Barlow F tubas, most of which had five valves and most of which were not compensated. Had Mr. Catelinet migrated to a different instrument when you knew him, or had he always used the instrument you cite?

And with all due respect to Mr. Catelinet (and I'll say this now that he's gone), the one recording I have of his playing does not fill me with the desire to own the sorts of instrument that he used. In deference to him, I'll assume it was the instrument that was holding him back.

Rick "who thinks that tuba sounded like these problem notes over its whole range" Denney

Follow Ups: