Re: CC or BB? that is the qq

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 18, 2001 at 00:33:41:

In Reply to: CC or BB? that is the qq posted by Brandon Ostrom on December 17, 2001 at 22:18:50:

Ultimately, BBb and CC tubas are both contrabass tubas, and are capable (in the correct hands) of exactly the same functionality.

There is considerable debate about whether or not CC tubas are necessarily better than BBb ones. Many do consider CC tubas to have a superior tone and faster response, and to be more comfortable in 'orchestra keys', while BBb tubas have an inferior tone and fingerings suitable to 'band keys'. Others consider any difference in 'typical quality' a matter of manufacturing quality, since CC tubas are made almost exclusively with pros in mind while BBb tubas are made for beginner and intermediate players as well. To be sure, most professional orchestral tubists play CC (in the US) but some very good ones have played BBb. Then, of course, Eb tubas are more common in England, and F tubas are more common in Germany.

Some will point out that trombones in the orchestra are keyed in Bb, and trumpeters and horn players frequently play Bb instruments, so BBb tubas have overtones and intonation tendencies more aligned with other orchestral brass, even if the fingerings are a bit clumsier. I think that's hooey, but I think similarly of the notion that 'band keys' or 'orchestra keys' are inately easier on one keyed horn or the other.

I think this is ultimately a personal decision. I owned a CC tuba briefly in college, and liked the sound and response of it very much. Unfortunately, by the time I got it I could see that my future did not lie with the tuba, so I never put in the work necessary to make the switch. I play a BBb now so I can mentally 'equate' trombone slide positions and fingerings, and switch back and forth easily. I know that's lazy, but I'm doing this for fun, so I GET to be lazy if I want!

Oh, and yes, CC tubas (comparing 'same models', for example Miraphone CC-186-4U and BBb-186-4U) cost more and weigh less, as they are somewhat shorter in overall length. I'm not sure whether a fifth valve (common in CC instuments) would ever make the CC horn heavier than its four-valve BBb sibling.

Joe Baker, who also had an Eb for awhile and toys with the idea trying that again.

Follow Ups: