Re: area auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David L. Allen on December 18, 2001 at 06:35:58:

In Reply to: area auditions posted by Tubaman186 on December 17, 2001 at 15:13:58:

Well unlike Rick, I have been an region judge (though never for ATSSB) numerous occasions and have had numerous student reach the All State level in 5A*. I would defiantly agree with Sean in that on several points:

"I can tell you, that the people who made the band did not necessarily play the most correct notes. They were the ones which were the most enjoyable to listen to."

"Perhaps more people were trying to express music, but they were so subtle that it was almost impossible to tell."

"As far as adding things to *WOW* the judges. Gimmicks don't work. They usually just backfire."

These are great general points to adhere to but here are some more that vary slightly from Sean's view.

1. Make sure you can can play you music at a volume that allows you to control your instrument. The one thing that I hear more often than ANYTHING at these types of auditions is the student's inability to
control the music due to a weakness in the sound to the point that the student has to force results to happen rather than allow the lyricism of the etude to be prominent (in a technical or lyrical etude).

2. From that volume decide what dynamic levels you can play and still maintain control over the instrument. Initially, this may cause your variances in dynamics to be minimal, but if you can conceive an end goal for your music then the dynamic levels can be increased without sacrificing control over the
music. Don't practice bad sounds

3. I truly feel that the staccato mark is the high school players worst enemy, especially for those who are presented a poor understanding of its definition by an inept or even in some cases decent band
director. ESPECIALLY for the Ab etude I do not feel that a physical separation of the notes is warranted. Allow yourself to play this etude with a connected airflow but with a firm articulation that creates the separation for you. Do not allow articulation to determine your airflow - it is too much work to have to try and lift each sixteenth and the tempo that this etude calls for (or even far below that
tempo for that matter).

If you are in the Houston area, drop me a line and lets get together. If you are in the Dallas area give a call to Ed Jones or Richard Murrow for some phenomenal help.

Good Luck

*For those not familiar with the Texas All State System, we have a 5A (Large school) All-State band, 4A (Medium School) All-State Band and ATTSB (3A and lower) All-State Band - (and I'll save the ensuing comment for myself)

Follow Ups: