Re: Philosophical thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on December 20, 2001 at 10:41:37:

In Reply to: Philosophical thoughts posted by N. Dwyer on December 19, 2001 at 15:35:38:

Hey N.Dwyer,

I am sorry that I can not point to a particular paper on the subject but the situation does sound to me that maybe the poor boy just came upon the wrong teacher. If the new teacher is unwilling to help the student to progress than the switch of teachers is in order. If the student is looking to make a carrer of playing the oboe than the parents and the child need to make the descisions with some qualified advice. Since you did not give alot of details it is hard to diagnose the problem. If the child, parents and teacher are in comunication then the choices will become clearer. If there is a movement in the music world to type cast people into certain instrumental roles it is an idea born of plain stupidity because if it were out out of ignorance the teacher and parents just would not know any better. The amount of serious dedicated work it takes to be a good oboe player or tuba player or any musician for that matter is the same. Please do not let yourself fall pray to such obnoxious over simplifications.
"did not have the proper personality" what does this mean....the boy doesn't practice enough and the parents are not making sure the student does or this kid is really hard to teach and I am not going to work so hard on this one... It is the parents job to find out these answers and then take action.
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: