Re: Re: please help us!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 21, 2001 at 09:16:26:

In Reply to: Re: please help us!!! posted by B. Furshaens on December 20, 2001 at 20:46:34:

Some of our worst flame wars have centered around spelling and typing issues. I know how to spell, but sometimes my fingers forget, and my eyes fill in the blanks when I read through it before hitting the Submit button. Of course, later on they are glaringly apparent.

I suspect this is true for most people who type out of their heads, and do so quickly. I used to worry about it, but I don't any longer. The reason I don't worry about it is the same as the reason I don't worry about occasional lapses of grammar during normal conversation. The writing on this forum is casual conversation in the only medium that works on the Internet (typing), and should attract no higher standard than is appropriate for that purpose.

Now, if a writer doesn't know the difference between "appreciated" and "appriciated", then that exposes another problem, but I'm reluctant to challenge those usages just as I'm reluctant to correct someone's grammar in a cocktail party conversation. They will either learn better in appropriate forums, or they won't to their lasting discredit; in either case, I suggest this isn't the forum for such learning.

Rick "Who learned the hard way about correcting grammar and spelling on Internet forums" Denney

Follow Ups: