Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on December 26, 2001 at 01:12:35:

In Reply to: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign posted by Jules on December 21, 2001 at 06:54:42:

Jules,

After reading the extremely tiring argument posted before this, I think you deserve an opinion on what you actually asked. So, here's mine...

I have owned a 983 for over three years and find it to be a wonderful instrument for over 90% of what I play. I am able to acheive a full, projecting sound that fits well in the brass quintet I'm in and for the solo playing I have been doing. I even have used it successfully in some of the concert band and small orchestra literture over the last year. I do appreciate the compensation (my first and only compensating horn) and I find the low register to be more than adequate for a smaller instrument. But, there are some intonation issues that I have to pay attention. They are the C above the staff being sharp, high Ab above the staff (Bydlo) being sharp, 2nd space C being sharp, 3rd line and the octave lower D being flat. Also, the Bb below the staff lacks a bit in response.

Having said all of this, I can easily correct all of these tendencies by simply listening and hearing the pitch in my head. I don't move a single slide up and down the horn. Also, the biggest selling point for me is that my colleagues like my sound because of it's projection and consistency through all octaves (even the extremes). I also find the response to be consistent in all octaves.

I have played the Willson and find it to be a wonderful instrument as well that played completely different than the Besson. But I almost felt I was playing a moderate size CC. I wanted a difference from my CC to my Eb, so I chose the Besson. You may have a different need.

As always, I encourage you play both as much as you can and try to get the dealer you chose to give you a grace period that allows you some time to play both in the ensemble you will be most using it in. Of course, you will need some adjustment time to the instrument, but hopefully you will get a better idea of which one you need.

Good luck!

Mark

Follow Ups: