Re: Re: Re: A better tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on December 30, 2001 at 16:27:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: A better tuba? posted by Rick Denney on December 27, 2001 at 11:13:15:

Sorry Rick, I didn't see your late post until today.

Actually, "close intonation" would be better. You know--notes that fall within, oh, say, 15 cents of an equally-tempered scale without slide pulls or major lip gymnastics. Maybe a DSP and servo hooked to the main tuning slide?

I just got through reading an article written a couple of decades ago that says so-called "just intonation" ascribed to vocalists and string players is just so much hoo-hah. The article states that the intonation exhibited by these professionals seems to be less an attempt to play in some sort of pure intonation than plain old bad tuning. The crux of the article is that we hear in equal temperament and tend to play that way. If someone narrows their thirds, it's because they can't play or sing in tune anyway.

An interesting viewpoint and one that I'm not sure I'd totally agree with, particularly when it comes to low instruments, where those beats are REALLY noticeable. But for those soprano voices, it's plausible.

Follow Ups: