Re: Re: Oiling Pistons without removing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on December 31, 2001 at 09:36:51:

In Reply to: Re: Oiling Pistons without removing posted by Ian Easton on December 31, 2001 at 02:13:49:

Hey!!

I agree mostly with you. Kids should be taught to remove the valves correctly. But, in my experience, broken guides and vavles put in backwards in more than just an occasional thing. I am a HS band director but am at the feeder school for more than 1/2 of every day. I;m the one who solves most of the "instrument issues". It's rare that a day goes by that I don't have to fix at least 2-3 mis assembled valves. And I keep a ready supply of the guides. Those dang youngsters! They insist on pulling ALL the valves at once to oil. I haven't read all of the posts, but another issue is that when you show students how to properly take out pistons, they insist on doing it at lees-than-oppurtune times, before a solo section, before a playing test, or challenge. Not that this should prevent the showing of how to remove them, but it does add another element of interest to teaching MS. Plus those shiny valves make cool noise when you beat the outside of the valve casing with'em (ala triangle). And let's not forget they are good to keep your unruly neighbor from bothering you (a smart whack on the head, hand, foot, ear, etc).

Cliff

Follow Ups: