Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Better tuba tuning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on January 02, 2002 at 20:53:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Better tuba tuning posted by Rick Denney on January 02, 2002 at 12:03:59:

The main point that I was making was that most tuba players play far more out of tune that the differences between any of these tuning systems. I can cite specific notes of specific well-known recordings of very well-known (well, maybe well-known to tuba players) tuba players, but that would lack class, so I'll cite an example of mySELF:

A few years ago, and without being aware of it (' found out later that it had been recorded) I made a recording of the Schumann "Adagio & Allegro" in front of a committee who wanted to hire me to do something. The piano wasn't in very good tune (' had been sitting around for about two months with no attention), but it wasn't horrible, either. On the recording, it is easy to hear the piano's minor problems, but none of those problems interfered with ME sounding "in tune". The only thing that interfered with ME sounding "in tune" was one particular middle-range pitch that I played sharp a couple of times in the performance. What made that pitch sound sharp was NOT the out-of-tune piano, nor was it the conflict between equal temperment and meantone temperment, nor was it the conflict between the overtones of my pitch and the "stretched" higher pitches of the piano. I was just plain-ol' SHARP.

Joe "Before we (collectively, and not Rick, nor anyone else specifically) discuss the problems of playing in tune with pianos, perhaps we should work on raising our own performance standards" S.

Follow Ups: