Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 05, 2002 at 14:35:20:

In Reply to: Warning: Heresy! posted by Joe Baker on December 05, 2002 at 13:51:42:

Two years ago, partly to accompany my wife's gung-ho uncle, I did TubaChristmas at the Kennedy Center in addition to my usual participation at Harper's Ferry. What an unpleasant experience! I enjoyed the performance by a small group of military guys, though they seemed to be having a REALLY good time, if you kno what I mean. The lobby of the Kennedy Center is an echo chamber unsuitable for loud noises, and we were incredibly loud. And it was an opportunity for horn snobbery. I sat near a fellow who had a 20J, who replied snootly to my compliment, "It's a 12J." Oooo-kaaaay.

Another fellow with a Rudy Meinl right behind me was a joy to sit next to, but we were massively outnumbered by the noisemakers.

On the other hand, Harper's Ferry usually has about 35 participants, and plays in a church scaled to that size ensemble. It's about 100 times more fun, and the parking's free. Occasionally, it almost sounds good. Almost.

Rick "who hates driving to DC without being compelled" Denney

Follow Ups: