Re: Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 06, 2002 at 16:48:16:

In Reply to: Re: Warning: Heresy! posted by Humbug on yr Harumph on December 06, 2002 at 14:10:48:

You have obviously had the good fortune to not stand next to the group of swearing, inattentive inebriates that play (or SING) the top line on the sousaphone as loudly as possible. That was my Rockefeller Center experience three years in a row. I am tall (and not transparent), so I voluntarily stand in the back so the kids can see better. Each year I was ashamed that this small group of players was behaving in a manner that was destroying the duel purpose of being there. And that is to have fun through PLAYING MUSIC while giving ourselves a venue to show the public just how wonderful sounding and musically capable our lesser known instruments are. These guys did a really fine job of offending everyone around them while managing to play as ratty as their intoxicated lungs would allow. They managed to lower the concert to the level of a “road trip”.

This happens at more than a few of the really large TubaChristmas® events each year.

Smaller is the way to go for these events. And maybe something less "franchised" and business-oriented. And maybe breath tests to weed out the drunks in the ensemble - I mean, come on - drink AFTER the darn concert!!

Wade

Follow Ups: