Re: Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 06, 2002 at 18:50:58:

In Reply to: Re: Warning: Heresy! posted by Geeze on December 06, 2002 at 17:50:08:

musicians who may lack talent in playing, even though they may work there butts off, never get to perform in public in such a way

My 'beef' EXACTLY!! You have described me to a T. In the last six years, I have practiced pretty regularly (except the last 6 months), and played before an audience perhaps 10 times, including TubaChristmas. So when a bunch of sousabusers (who are MOSTLY, thought not all, still in school and performing regularly) come along and ruin the experience, I find it very difficult to get into the Christmas spirit.

Today, I told my wife (who hasn't attended a TubaChristmas, but has seen me return from them) that I would be in the audience at the Harriman, TN TC, and she paused, then asked "are you sure?" I'm really a happy guy, and love Christmas better than anyone -- except when I am around inconsiderate people. Players who are before or after their prime, or guys (like me) that may never HAVE a prime, fine; but inconsiderate folks who just want to be obnoxious, with no regard for the group, just steam me. So put a lump of coal in my stocking for being human.

I welcome anyone to disagree with me (durn, I sometimes take it as a compliment!); but I have to wonder - have you been to one of the REALLY big events? If you have, and can enjoy the experience, my Santa-hat is off to you. I just can't. And I won't. And I hate it that I can't and won't. I wondered if others felt similarly, and the response to my post bears out that many do. So are we all being negative? No, we are discussing alternatives - smaller, better moderated gatherings. If you enjoy the mass thing, go crazy. Have a great time, and I really mean that. Tell me all about it when you get back, 'cause I hope it's a success; but I won't be there. Next year, I'll be starting early to organize something for us 'small group' guys & dolls. Now, where's Ray Grimm's email address...

Joe Baker, who wonders why people who seek alternatives are categorized as 'negative'.

Follow Ups: