Re: Bobo / Effie Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 07, 2002 at 08:37:20:

In Reply to: Bobo / Effie Question posted by Big B on December 06, 2002 at 23:32:12:

The reason the sound on that recording sounds so "F"ish is because the 184 CC is a very small CC tuba. I was quite surprised by this myself. I recently bought a 184 and when the horn was sent to me, I wanted to try it out with the brass quintet. I searched through the gig bags I own to find one that was at least close to the size of this horn so that I could safely carry it around. The gig bag I have for my Cerveny 641 Eb fit almost perfectly. The 184 and the 641 are very nearly identical in size. For me, the 641 Eb is a smaller Eb tuba. The sounds produced by the two horns are very similar. How the 184 has that sound without the low range headaches is a mystery to me but I'm happy it turned out that way! Depending on what mouthpiece you use, the 184 has every bit as easy a high range and as light and clear a sound as any F tuba I know of. I'm sure this is one of the reasons Roger chose to use it for his recording.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: