Re: Which 4/4 F tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on December 07, 2002 at 14:25:11:

In Reply to: Which 4/4 F tuba? posted by Not too big or small on December 07, 2002 at 11:28:22:

It's kinda hard to find an F tuba right in between those two groups of sizes you tried. But I would say two tubas that may have the sound that you would like:

the Gronitz that dp mentioned. I tried it and it was soooo nice. It felt like playing on te 45slp (sort of) but it was a lot clearer, and didn't have the pistony feel or sound of the Yamaha. Basically, to me, it was like the 45slp with a clearer sound. I think size-wise it was right in between what you were talking about. This one has a 2-step and 3 step option.

-the other one would be the Mirafone 181 SIX valve. This is considered a bigger horn, BUT the sound is so clear. I'm actually planning on getting this horn because I've been looking for a horn that has a clear tone too that's not too big and not too small and this one's been my choice because I prefer rotary over piston right now compared to the Gronitz. It has a big sound that can be used in orchestra, but still has a clear enough tone for solo. But remember, there's a big difference between the 5 valve and the 6 valve. The 5 valve version's low register slipts like crazy where as the 6 valve is stable. I don't know why, but that 6th valve makes a difference. This one is usually 1-step, but you can order a 2 step slide if you order it.

Actually, if you have money, but the new Rudy Meinl is suppose to have an amazing sound and that may be another one to look into. Never played it though.

-W

Follow Ups: