Re: College Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 07, 2002 at 14:37:25:

In Reply to: College Music posted by SHS Tubamaster on December 07, 2002 at 12:56:14:

Others will suggest their own teacher/school as the best. I don't know, but I would imagine it depends a LOT on EXACTLY what you want to do (teach lessons, play in an orchestra, teach band, studio work, freelancer, etc.).

Technically, most teachers will not insist on a particular brand or key of instrument, but they are human and they have their biases. A great many tuba players still believe that CC tubas are inherently better than BBb (faster response, etc.), and likewise that F tubas are superior to Eb. Even if such a teacher is TRYING to be open minded, he still may be biased in his thinking about a player based upon the equipment he plays. That's just human nature, and you can't make rules against it. Well, you can make them, but they won't work. Since your teacher's opinion of you IS important, it often pays to acquiesce in these matters.

Now, some unsolicited advice: others of your posts lead me to believe that you are a Freshman in HS. If I'm wrong, pardon my impertinence and please ignore this. If I am right, then you are making noises very similar to the ones I made when I was your age. So, I'd like to pass on some good advice I got and (for once!) followed. Let me encourage you to not make the mistake of burning academic bridges behind you. You are, I believe, too young for ANYONE to REALLY know if you've got the goods (aptitude, talent, commitment) to make it as a pro. My college instructor, Don Little at NTSU, said I had the talent, and until the middle of my Freshman year of college I thought I had the drive. But when it got REALLY hard (not just playing, but theory, music lit, etc.) I found that I just didn't want it badly enough. My story was not unusual. You just don't know how you're going to feel about this stuff four or five years from now. You'll be a very different person! So I would discourage you from committing to this path so soon. In short, keep your grades up!

Joe Baker, who found that music can be a very nice hobby.

Follow Ups: