To hear or not to hear ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Volker on December 08, 2002 at 18:25:51:

... the tuba in a sinfo orchestra - that's the question. Here is my personal "empiric" answer: After visiting several concerts in different halls, I found the tuba not to be(directly) heard (besides solo parts) in buildings that provide the same ground level for the orchestra and the audience as well, in spite of the fact, that in most cases they used those noble brands with the "astronomical" prices. However, in Cologne we have a concert building with a very advanced architecture that focused all priority on the acoustics; so, the audience is sitting on crater-shaped circle stairs high up almost to the roof: What a pleasure to hear the (one) fat tuba in the low register!
I followed all the controversal discussions about the recording bells vs. upright bells aiming at the stage curtains, and I know some experts' opinion, a tuba should not directly be noticable in a big orchestra. Nevertheless, I prefer the direct sound to carry through into effect, if is played by a highly talented and skilled pro!
Just my taste for what it's worth.

Follow Ups: