Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tuba For Firebird?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James on December 09, 2002 at 16:46:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tuba For Firebird? posted by Daryl on December 09, 2002 at 13:43:35:

Poor Misguided Daryl,

You must be the type of player that likes to afix your lips to the conductor's cheeks. A lot of conductors dont know what sounds good in the audience position, and often times they are woodwind players themselves. I have played for some great conductors that love a loud low brass section. One of them was a tuba player himself, and knew what it should sound like. He was constantly ragging on the tubas for not being able to play loud enough.

I have also been in the audience of many orchestras. Orchestras with soft, quiet and pansy tuba players like you, give the group a bad sound, because there is no base to it. I have also talked to many tuba players after the concerts and am told that the director doesnt want them to play louder. Then I have talked to players after a concert that sounded awesome, and those tubas also complain about the conductor saying its too loud, but they stuck with their guns and made the concert awesome.

Though I play mainly trombone, I feel my experience applies here as I play tuba as well. I hate playing with wimpy tuba players, because then I have to back off as well. when we are playing a powerful piece like Mars, and the tuba cant keep up with the trombones, that sucks. That is when the band sounds unbalanced, not when the tuba is getting the hand.

I guess what Im saying, is that you shouldnt be playing tuba if you are gonna listen to every little thing the conductor says. Either grow some balls or leave room for the real tuba players.

Follow Ups: