Re: Re: Re: Finale or Sibelius?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 10, 2002 at 23:09:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Finale or Sibelius? posted by Mary Ann on December 10, 2002 at 12:20:42:

Mary Ann, please do not live up to my general perception of female beings just a bit younger than myself.

What you say about Finale simply is not true.

Finale prepares, markets, and sell a major upgrade each year in September. Each and every so called maintenance upgrade in between is free for the download for all registered buyers of the most recent main upgrade version.

I bought the 2003 version in September and just an hour ago I downloaded the free 2003a version. Please forgive me for not have given that upgrade a thorough test. But it surely opens my existing files.

Finale never marketed itself as a tool for the occasional user. It addresses the pro and serious student market. A few dedicated amateurs also find the regular upgrades worthwhile. A proof for that is typing these lines.

If I should scratch the surface of the Finale versus Sibelius discussion then by this statement:

Finale by itself does not create beautiful engraving. But it provides any dedicated user the variable parameters to do optimal engraving.

Sibelius provides a less ugly default output , than does Finale. But Sibelius none the less never transcends the ugly level, because it does not provide the engraver the tools of modification and customising.

The Finale community is open, another contrast to the Sibelius secterism, and shares templates. I never have hidden, that I have enjoyed the benefits of the templates given me my the German Baroque musicologist Johannes Gebauer. I of course have done my own tweaks to them, as my experience tells me to make the most detailed and precise notation, that I can manage to do.

My own productivity has laid low recently for reasons, that are irrelevant to Finale, so I have uploaded less than desirable to my site for free music files linked to below. The file format is .pdf.

Yet there might be of interest for those not having visited it yet. Please note that the group is not open. My approval of membership is mandatory, so if I do not know you, you will have to present yourself to me. All I want is your full name and the names of the ensembles, that you play in. No address, no credit card specs, no social security number.

This is not a matter of secludedness, but a way to secure openness being a two-way-street.

Klaus

Follow Ups: