Re: intonation question???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Benjamin Schardt on December 12, 2002 at 15:10:24:

In Reply to: intonation question??? posted by Matt Higgins on December 11, 2002 at 03:08:13:

Although I play primarily on a 2145, it shares a valve set and almost identical branches with the 2155. I have also played a 2155 on limited occasions.

In regards to 23 and 12 for Eb and E, respectively, in the staff, it's a non-issue, and may even be of benefit. How many horns are there where you can fiddle around with the second valve to adjust intonation (assuming 2 for Eb?) On both the 2145 and 2155, the first and third valves are in prime ergonomic locations to adjust. Why not have the added benefit of being able to adjust the intonation of a note easily without lipping around and affecting your embouchure?

That said, all of the horns I have played on recently sound better with the 23 combination for Eb in the staff, even a Kalison.

Besides this pair of gem notes, there are a few quirks I have noticed. There is no good C# immediately below the staff. 24 is sharp, not to mention 123. 235 is flat and a little stuffy, but for a sustained note pushing 3 and 5 all the way in works. Nothing wrong with a little forearm/wrist workout while you're playing! G in the staff is always a fun note, but on partials above that, the horn seems to lend itself easily to minor adjustments from the embouchure on open notes, and they just tend to lock right in.

Go get a 2155. Enjoy.

Follow Ups: