Help searching for new euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stickboy on December 20, 2002 at 09:41:31:

Ok, here goes (I'll apologize up front for any rambling). I am starting the search for a new euphonium. A little background may be in order. I played trombone in elementary school, switched to baritone (King, bell-up, 3 front-action valves) and played that through senior high. Didn't play any after I graduated high school. That is until my wife told our music minister that I had a trombone. Played it for a little bit and remembered why I switched to baritone. I bought a Bestler euphonium off of e-bay and have been playing a bit more and realize I want a better horn.

I was considering a non-compensating 4-valve (based on my budget, figuring I couldn’t even touch a compensating for what I have to spend) like the King 2280 or the Yamaha YEP-321. Any comments on these horns? I’ve read that the Bach 1110 and the Holton B302R are made by Yamaha and are the same as the YEP-321. Any truth to this? I saw that wwbw.com has the Miraphone 1258A and Meinl-Weston 451 compensating euphoniums for around what I have available to spend. Any comments on these?

As you can see, I’m am pretty much at a loss (these are but a few of the questions I have). Also, I wouldn’t consider myself an accomplished musician, but like to play and fit in well with the other brass players at church. Now that you know more about me than you ever wanted, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. I’ve enjoyed reading the posts.

Follow Ups: