Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tuba keys??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 21, 2002 at 12:01:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tuba keys?? posted by Chuck(G) on December 21, 2002 at 01:01:27:

I absolutely agree. What you suggest is something I've suggested as a nomenclature at least for us for a long time.

The thing about traditions is that if they are hard to explain without guessing, they are even harder to change. They grow as a result of incremental changes in practice by people with no organological objectives, and once in place everyone forms the habit of using them.

As an example, I'm going a Christmas party this evening being held by a tuba-playing buddy. There will be a number of tuba players there of all backgrounds and skills, some of them in the military. What do you think they would think of me if I went in telling them that I just about a Holton Bb contra-tuba from Fedderly. Some would not know what I was talking about, and others would think me a geek (assuming falsely that they don't already).

It is too bad that whoever first lengthened the "Basstuba" in Bb (Cerveny?) didn't call it "Kontrabasstuba" in a way that would stick with players.

The other problem is that tubas vary in size tremendously (width rather than length), while trumpets and horns do not, at least not so visibly. A nomenclature that was more meaningful than "6/4" or "BAT" would be even more useful than getting rid of the extra letters.

Rick "who thinks the Fiddler on the Roof explains traditions pretty well" Denney

Follow Ups: