Re: Harvey P. Holton

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaDude on December 22, 2002 at 02:52:50:

In Reply to: Harvey P. Holton posted by Opinions? on December 22, 2002 at 00:07:13:

The TU330CC is an awesome horn. I bought a silver one a few months ago and have not been disappointed with the intonation or it's surprisingly small size. I use mine mainly for dixieland and brass quintet work. The horn is just the right size to strap onto the front of you and fill whatever room you are playing with a full rich tone. A few things that are missing are a 5th valve and the fourth valve slide tends to poke you in the stomach due to the fact that they mounted it in the back of the horn. Other than those two items, it is a really fun horn to play. The guys in the dixie group that I play in like my TU330CCS better than my Kalison DS CC. Comparing the Holton to the Kalison the main body of the Holton is actually larger than the Kalison, the Kalison just has a taller bell. I thought the difference in bore, Kalison=.767 Holton=.668/.680, was going to make the Holton stuffier and less capable of producing a full, rich, and voluminous (sp) tone but this was not the case. Harvey truly did a magnificient job colaborating on this horn. The design of the horn is almost like that of the old huge Holton 345 besides the relocation of the fourth valve side to the rear of the horn.

Follow Ups: