Re: Re: Re: Did anyone play a new or tuba they liked

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 23, 2002 at 18:34:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Did anyone play a new or tuba they liked posted by Gronitz F on December 23, 2002 at 10:30:37:

I can try- bear in mind, though, that I'm not an F-tubist.. 85% of my playing is on CC, and maybe 16% is on Eb tuba.

What I liked about the Gronitz F, though, was the response. I spent about 10 minutes just "doodling" on it, getting comfortable with the overtone series and correlating the fingerings to some music I had in my head. Once I got started, the horn practically took over and played itself. The horn gave me NO feedback, it did exactly everything I told it to do- I've never played a horn that's done that before. Playing down to a pedal F I only found one "funny" note that I'm sure could be fixed by messing around with alternate fingerings. The sound was wonderful, and extremely consistant- from pedal F up to an octave above middle C it sounded like the same tuba (and I'm mediocre, at best!). The 20 minutes or so I spent on the horn solidified the impression it left on me when I played the same model several months back.. I've played about a dozen F tubas, but this is the only one that's ever made me "want" to play an F tuba.

The 4/4 rotary F also seemed like a nice horn from what I could tell from hearing others play it.

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: