Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas know everything....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 24, 2002 at 16:53:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas know everything.... posted by Back again... on December 24, 2002 at 13:57:24:

Cursed?

My outline was pretty brief. For example, I didn't explain that the EEb version printed in the U.K. was the one numbered non-consecutively. The Eb version printed in the U.S. only has three pages, but they are full quarto size. And the Eb French version used special Z14 paper size--14 inches tall and only a half inch wide.

As to bashing the BBb version, I actually did mention that it was the preferred edition for people who just wanted to read the comic and not show off to their their comic-collecting buddies. But there is a school of those who prefer to collect the BBb editions. They typically have four or five of them, each with different pages in better condition, so that they can clearly see all the drawings. Because they are less expensive, it's easy to build a complete collection. But a good variety of them does take up quite some space in the living room.

Of the large-print versions, the famed WholeTon edition is hardest to find, having been printed using a potato block on corrugated cardboard. But for some reason, the ink did't run on a few of them, and you can read them clearly from 22 feet away. Some people like the large-print versions, despite their size, because they are nearly blind and they are easier to read.

If you want snobbishness, you have to find a German-language version printed in Switzerland. Those are the most expensive of all. But all the comics in German are printed on card stock with really sharp corners, and have complex round bindings that are really smooth but quite heavy. They tend to be rather high-priced, especially those that are printed in Germany (or, worse, Switzerland) but written in large-print American-style English. There is one edition (Miracomix), though, that are common and easily obtained, and in the opinion of many of the older generation, quite under-rated.

Rick "hoping the large-print BBb comics do well on ebay" Denney

Follow Ups: