Re: So, everyone likes VMI? No complaints?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 24, 2002 at 19:32:59:

In Reply to: So, everyone likes VMI? No complaints? posted by CJW on December 24, 2002 at 19:10:12:

What don't you like about the Bessons, sound, intonation, ease of playing? You need to understand what you want to achieve before you can decide what instrument would be appropriate. Also, Miraphone and Yamaha both make high quality instruments, although there are some models that people like better than others, and some that most people just don't like.

Whether to learn C or not is up to you. If you want a C tuba expect to pay much more for the equivalent model vs. a BBb version. There are some who argue that a C will allow clearer articulation, but I believe the difference is illusory at best. There was a recent thread on BBb vs. CC tubas in which this issue was discussed ad nauseum.

If I were buying a new tuba to use as an amateur, and I had a somewhat limited budget I would try out as many of the new King 2341s as I could and buy the one that played best for me. If I had more money I would go for a 5 valve Miraphone 1291, it plays great and the 5th valve couldn't hurt to have.

Follow Ups: