Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Ho Holton!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on December 25, 2002 at 20:30:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Ho Holton! posted by Rick Denney on December 25, 2002 at 13:13:48:

I did not present my question above clearly enough. I wasn't really considering the resale value of a doctored Holton (although the comments have been informative and interesting). My question pertains to the MUSICAL characteristics of the horn. Thus:

Adding a 4th valve to a 3-valve Holton BBb BAT would certainly offer alternate fingerings in difficult passages and extension of the low range without having to rely upon privileged tones. But is the intonation of a good 3-valve Holton BBb BAT acceptable to the point that the expense of adding a 4th valve is superfluous? Could adding a 4th valve actually be detrimental to the instrument's playability (making it stuffy, etc.)

Presenting this question from a different perspective: If you acquired a 3-valve Holton BBb BAT with no intention of reselling it, would it be essential to add a 4th valve if you wanted to do serious playing on the horn?

Follow Ups: