Re: advice on b flat piston tuna

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 26, 2002 at 15:17:57:

In Reply to: advice on b flat piston tuna posted by BRUCE E on December 26, 2002 at 13:05:46:

BBb, piston, 80 pc community band *and* quintet, moderately priced...

It depends, of course, on your definition of "moderately priced".

I would consider the VMI 3301 and the (new) King 2341. Play both (and multiple instances of each) before deciding.

For me, the ergonomics of the VMI were a deal-breaker - but I have small hands. This might very well not be an issue for you. The King shows considerable sample-to-sample variation. Pay particular attention to the valves, and the response when using the 4th valve. In my opinion, the quality ranges from good to excellent.

I liked the Lydl, but doubt that it would carry an 80 pc community band. It struck me as the perfect "beginning student" tuba. Small, but not *too* small, with an unusually well protected leadpipe - just the thing for tossing around.

Finally, I would at least play a few moderately priced BBb ROTARY tubas. Pistons vs Rotors should be in the "mild preference" catagory (although, I admit that pistons are my preference, as well). For example, the VMI 2xxx (I forget the model number) is a very nice rotary that would be adequate for the 80 pc band and more at home in quintet than it's big (piston) brother.

And then (so I lied about the "finally") there's always the used market. A trip to Woodbridge, NJ and/or Baltimore, MD would give you exposure to a wide array of possibilities in the "experienced tuba" area. If you are ready to write the check, you can hardly fail to walk away without something suitable.

Follow Ups: