Re: Re: advice on b flat piston tuna

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 26, 2002 at 23:31:37:

In Reply to: Re: advice on b flat piston tuna posted by dp on December 26, 2002 at 16:42:45:

I have played it and think it's a good deal, too, though it isn't in perfect condition. But it does not have a fifth rotor. It's a four-valve BBb somewhat different in arrangement but quite similar in playing characteristics to my York Master. The bell throat is perhaps a tiny bit larger, though the bottom bow, bell size, and outer branches are the same. The pistons are higher on the instrument (though at the same angle). The main tuning slide is at the top following the Marzan influence. The fourth valve tubing is wrapped internally instead of on the outside of the back like my YM. It would have taken me a while to discern many playing differences compared with my York Master--they were that similar. I couldn't tell the difference in the brief time I had with it.

But Dale is right that 5/4 BBb tubas are not common. This one is bigger than your average 4/4 rotary, and not as compactly wrapped as a Miraphone 191. It's bigger than the King, however, though this is apparent in the sound only in the low register, it seems to me.

Rick "who thinks B&M valves are to die for, once you can get your fingers on them" Denney

Follow Ups: