Re: Re: Re: double bell euphonium case sought

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 27, 2002 at 13:02:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: double bell euphonium case sought posted by Timothy Tikker on December 27, 2002 at 08:15:30:

By 5V, he meant that it had 5 valves (4 plus the change valve). Conn made many different model double bell euphoniums over the years both with 4 and 5 valves. I have seen them with two upright bells, one upright and front facing bell, 2 front bells, tuning in the leadpipe, a straight leadpipe with separate tuning slides for each bell, top action valves with the change valve on the side, and front action valves with 4 or 5 in a row, and combinations of all of these. Then of course there were many variations in finish from lacquered or raw brass to silver plate to gold plate. The model number, if it had one, would end in an "I" because that was the letter that Conn used to designate euphoniums. At one point though they used model names and not numbers. The model number was sometimes engraved on the mouthpiece receiver and sometimes it was on the collar for the detachable bell, if it had one.

Of course this was just for Conn double bell euphoniums. I have seen double bell euphs made by Henry Distin, J W Pepper, Besson, Boosey, King, Holton, and York to name a few. They each made different model DB euphs over the years.

Follow Ups: