Re: CC vsBBb: Why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on December 29, 2002 at 20:23:17:

In Reply to: CC vsBBb: Why? posted by PleaseAnswer on December 29, 2002 at 16:42:23:

I'd much rather address your sincere question, than read more ad naseum postings about the Boston Symphony. First of all, much orchestral music is in sharp keys, and much of it is in a somewhat higher tessitura (range) than most tuba parts in band music. If you're not interested in playing in symphony orchestras, or persuing a symphony job some place, then it's much less of an issue. In a orchestra, a tuba is a bit more of a solo instrument, as there's usually only one of us (few pieces ask for two tubas). Much of what you'll play in an orchestra can be heard in great detail by the audience. CC tubas tend to be more centered, less "tubby" (to use a bad cliche). They're also a bit better in negotiating music that's in four or five sharps. However, there are ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS to these cases, as plenty of pros have used BBb tubas in symphony orchestras. Having spent many years on both BBb and CC tubas, I'd rather use a big CC tuba for most orchestral applications. But in my old age, one of the few remaining jobs that I do is in a yearly Oktoberfest band. All of the music in that band is in flat keys, and the director prefers that the tubas remain in the lower octave. For that job, a BBb tuba makes your day real easy. However, a five valve CC tuba can handle that particular job just fine as well. I would not, however, want to use a large BBb on a lot of the orchestral works that I've played over the years. So, in conclusion, I would say that a good five valve CC tuba is a more versatile instrument than a big BBb. Again, there are always exceptions, and much depends on the player him/herself! I've always had a much stronger and more secure low range than high range. Therefore, a good CC tuba (bad ones suck, just like any bad horn) generally helps me to overcome some of my upper range struggles. Quite frankly, I play most everything on an Eb tuba these days, as I do mostly quintet playing, if anything.

As far as learning new fingerings go, it didn't take me long to learn CC at all. Then again, I was probably 22 at the time, and was playing the tuba all day long. However, once I learned CC fingerings, I discovered that it was actually pretty easy to learn the fingerings of other keyed instruments as well. I quickly picked-up Eb tuba, as well as both bass clef and treble clef Euphonium. I've yet to learn F fingerings, but I would never let that intimidate me, if I were interested in buying an F tuba. Perhaps someday I will. In the Oktoberfest band that I play in, there's a Dutch fellow who can literally pick up ANY instrument and play it! The guy is frightening! - especially since he sings well on top of all that, and knows just a ton of tunes off the top of his head.

Anyway, I hope this helps you in making a decision. Try out a few CC tubas before making the plunge. If you find that you like playing on a CC tuba, then I don't think that you should let the fingering obstacle stand in your way. You'll just have to practice a lot, is all. Practice on pieces that you're real familiar with. Good luck.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: